Twix bars used to be my favorite kind of chocolate bar. The crunchy biscuit, the sweet caramel and the delectable chocolate covering, but, it was not destined to be a long romance. So I en-devoured to find a dairy free alternative that isn’t too hard to make. All while being kind to your waist-line and I succeeded! So now I am sharing this recipe with you so you can have a slice of heaven too.
Who knew something that tastes as good as this could actually be healthy? Your taste-buds may not believe you, but its true.
This caramel is made mainly of dates, which are definitely better than condensed milk while being totally dairy free and mostly healthy. Not that I’m suggesting you eat the whole thing, as tempting as that may be to those of us with a untamed sweet tooth.
Another great thing about this slice is that it can be frozen so you can impress your friends with a lovely dessert after a dinner party or afternoon tea. This slice does need to be kept in the refrigerator, otherwise the chocolate will melt.
Ingredients: Makes about 20 Twix bars.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup sugar (coconut sugar or maple syrup for healthier alternative)
1 cup almond meal.
1/2 cup desiccated coconut.
1 cup almond milk.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 12″ by 8″ slice pan with baking paper.
- Combine coconut, flour, almond meal and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Add the egg, then almond milk in small amounts, you may not need the full cup. the constancy should be play-dough like.
- Press the mixture into the pan and bake for 10 mins or until slightly golden.
1 1/4 cups of chopped dried dates.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil.
3 Tablespoons thick coconut cream.
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
- Put the chopped dates in a small saucepan with 1 cup of hot water, simmer for 5 minutes.Allow to cool a little.
- Blend the dates in a food processor for a smooth consistency.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut cream and vanilla, blend until combined.
- Spread the caramel mixture over the base and refrigerate while making the chocolate.
3 Tablespoons coconut oil.
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup.
2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder or carob powder.
- Add the maple syrup and cocoa powder to melted coconut oil. Mix well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel and refrigerate the slice for 1-2 hours before cutting and serving.