Want to impress your friends and relatives with your baking skills? This dairy free apple crumble cake will have them going back for seconds.
It’s perfect for those cold winter days where you just want to cuddle up with a blanket, a cup of tea and a warm slice of luscious apple cake with a twist.
This heavenly cake does have two layers but don’t let that scare you off, its easier than it looks. Plus its packed full of sweet apples, meaning less sugar and more flavour.
1 cup applesauce
2 large golden delicious apples (peeled, cubed)
3 Tablespoons coconut oil.
2 Tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup desiccated coconut
2/3 cup date paste*
1/3 cup almond milk
2/3 cup moist coconut flakes (shredded coconut can be substituted)
2/3 cup rolled quick oats
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons coconut oil.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
*Date paste is simple to make and can be stored in the freezer until needed. You will need 2 cups dried dates and 1 cup water. Bring the dates and water to the boil then let simmer for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Take off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then place in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Line 9 inch square cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the cubed apple in a saucepan on medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the applesauce, coconut oil and spices and stir through until the oil has melted. Take off heat.
- Add the date paste to the apple mixture.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and coconut.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour, mix.
- Pour in the almond milk and stir to combine.
- Pour the mix into the cake pan and level out with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 mins.
- Combine the coconut, oats, spices, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Melt together the honey and coconut oil.
- Add the honey mixture into the dry ingredients and mix will.
- Spread over the cake and press down slightly.
- Bake in the oven for a further 10 minutes.