Love lemons? Of course you do , why else would you be here? This lemon packed slice is gluten and dairy free while being totally delicious.
When I say this slice is packed full of lemons i’m not joking. This recipe uses whole Meyer lemons blended into a paste. Yes I know that sounds a little strange but trust me it works. This is best made the day before you want to serve it. The flavors will have a chance to melt together and the icing will have a chance to set properly.
This slice is perfect for summer afternoons, when you are relaxing in the sun with a glass of iced tea and a couple of great friends. Although, I have been known to eat this for breakfast.
This recipe calls for organic lemon and this is very important. As the rind is used in this recipe, organic lemons won’t be covered in harsh pesticides. There will be some paste left over but it can be frozen and used again for this slice, or in another lemon packed recipe.
3 organic Meyer lemons
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups almond meal
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup thick coconut cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange rind (very fine)
- Wash lemons and place them in a medium saucepan.
- Cover with water and boil for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the water and allow to cool.
- Cut and remove the seeds. It is best to do this in a bowl as you want to keep all the juice.
- Blend the lemons in a food processor until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 8 inch square slice tin with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, coconut oil and sugar together until combined.
- Add 1/3 cup lemon puree and maple syrup, mix well.
- Fold in the almond meal, coconut and baking powder. Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into the slice tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pull out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the icing whip the coconut cream, icing sugar and orange rind together. Spread over the cooled slice and refrigerate overnight.