I love cupcakes. Who doesn’t? They are little sweet treats that you always want to eat just one more of. On the other hand, they can be hard to perfect, and can be more of an art-form than skill. Lets face it, cupcakes do look like a work of art when they turn out well. I have perfected a dairy free yet indulgent cupcake recipe that will not fail you.
I have found an ingredient that will transform your cupcakes into light and fluffy treats that will be consumed in a matter of hours unless you have some serious self control. The magic ingredient is sparkling apple juice! Yes that may sound a little strange in vanilla cupcakes but trust me, it works. They have been family approved.
These little treasures do need to be refrigerated because of the custard icing. If on the other hand you decide that you want a tower of frosting, they can be kept (if needed) at room temperature.
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup raw sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup sparkling apple juice
2 – 3 tablespoons almond milk
2 1/2 tablespoons custard powder
1 2/3 cup thin coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar
2/3 cup desiccated coconut for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat coconut oil and sugar together until well combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time with vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry mix to the egg mixture.
- Pour in the sparkling apple juice and mix well.
- Add the almond milk and stir.
- Fill cupcake cases half way with mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, place custard powder maple syrup and 3 tablespoons coconut milk in a small saucepan and mix well. Then pour in the rest of the coconut milk.
- Put on a medium heat and stir until the custard is thick.Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the custard on with a small spatula or knife.
- Put the coconut in a small bowl and dip the top of the cupcake in to coat.