Who can deny a great pie? I know I can’t. Especially one that is packed full of gorgeous apples and spices that warm your senses.
This luscious pie is low sugar, because of the natural sweetness of the apples whilst being both gluten and dairy free. Tell this to your friends and they won’t believe it. But they will be coming back for seconds.
This pie may be topless but still has all the quality. Its great spiced apple to chewy pastry ratio will have you satisfied without feeling weighed down. Plus it will make your whole house smell fantastic (trust me there will be drool).
3/4 cup almond meal.
1/4 cup hazelnut meal
2 egg whites
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a 6 inch pie dish with coconut oil.
- Melt the coconut oil and sugar together. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg whites, almond meal, hazelnut meal and salt. Combine.
- Press into pie dish, making sure the pastry goes all the way up the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
8 granny smith apples.
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons raw sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water
- Peel and cube the apples.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook on a low heat until the apple is just soft and the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring the apple mixture to the pastry.
- Press down slightly and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.