Why not eat cake for breakfast? I do. And when you are too lazy to go shopping for eggs at 7am when the need to bake overwhelms you. This recipe will satisfy your late night and early morning cravings for cake. All while being kind to that waist line we treasure.
The combination of blueberries and loads of lemons make this a delicious breakfast worthy muffin that has at least half the sugar of a store bought one. Have this with a dollop of coconut cream to indulge or just eat it on the run to fuel your morning. Either way you get to eat cake and not feel guilty about it. That’s always a win win situation.
You can also add other fruits like raspberries and banana, or maybe all of them if you are feeling like you want something a little different. Just make sure the amount of fruit stays the same and this recipe will be bursting with flavour. Best be careful though! They will all disappear when the intoxicating smell of muffins draws people into the kitchen.
6 tablespoons coconut oil
5 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoon Limoncello (optional)
Zest of 3 lemons
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 tablespoons custard powder
2 cups almond milk
1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Whip together the sugar and coconut oil.
- Add in the maple syrup, lemon zest and Limoncello, beat well.
- Mix in the flour, bi-carb and coconut.
- Mix the custard powder into the almond milk and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Fill the muffin tins halfway and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden.