I love chocolate. I mean who doesn’t? But when I crave it I am never satisfied with just a piece of chocolate. I have to make a cake or brownies or pudding. Something that I am going to eat way to much of then regret it for that extra 20mins spent at the gym.
This cake is totally worth it though. It is fluffy and moist but doesn’t feel like you just ate a brick. It will satisfy those chocolate cravings and put a big smile on everyone’s face. Plus no one will even know it’s vegan until you tell them.
2 cups self–raising flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tbsp vegan chocolate spead (natvia)
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup water
7 tbsp sunflower oil
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 tbsp custard powder
1 tbsp brown suagr
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup pudding mixture
1/4 cup non dairy butter/margarine
2/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Line two 9inch cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl put the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking power, baking powder and sugars. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chocolate spread, vinegar and oil into the dry ingredients.
- Put the instant coffee in the water and stir to dissolve.
- Add the coffee to the bowl and stir all the ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Pour evenly into the two cake tins and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a saucepan, add a tablespoon or two of milk and stir until there are no lumps. Add the rest of the milk and stir.
- Place on a medium heat, storing constantly until you get a thick mixture.
- Allow to cool. While you make the icing.
- Put a 1/2 cup of mixture into a separate bowl.
- Add all the ingredients to the 1/2 cup of pudding mixture and whisk until smooth.*
Build the cake:
- Turn out one of the cakes and place on a plate or serving board.
- Level out the top of the cake by taking a knife an cutting a layer off the top.
- Put the cooled pudding layer on top. Place the other cake on top.
- Spread the icing onto the cake.
- Chill for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
*You can double the recipe if you like lots of icing. (Add 1/4 cup more icing sugar if you want it a little thicker)